UCLA Professor Judea Pearl – who has paid his own tribute in the Carefully Calibrated Campaign Against Man-Caused Disasters – has an interesting insight into the reason why 71% of the American people are regarded by the other 29% as “Islamophobes.” Who might as well be racist, if one could only tie concerns about a set of beliefs as being racially based:
Terrorist acts, whenever condemned, are immediately “contextually explicated” (to quote Tariq Ramadan); spiritual legitimizers of suicide bombings (e.g. Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi of Qatar) are revered beyond criticism; Hamas and Hizbullah are permanently shielded from the label of “terrorist.”
Overall, the message that emerges from this discourse is implicit, but can hardly be missed: When Muslim grievance is at question, America is the culprit and violence is justified, if not obligatory.
True, we have not helped Muslims in the confidence-building process. Treating homegrown terror acts as isolated incidents of psychological disturbances while denying their ideological roots has given American Muslim leaders the illusion that they can achieve public acceptance without engaging in serious introspection and responsibility sharing for allowing victimhood, anger and entitlement to spawn such acts.
The construction of the Ground Zero mosque would further prolong this illusion.
1) Have you noticed? It’s always that same 29%
2) Consider this a cup of wake the hell up. Be reasonable.
3) Pay your taxes. It’s patriotic.